SEMINAR ON ROLE OF MEDIA IN SDGS IN BANGLADESH
Published: 06. Jul. 2019 | Saturday
A national seminar on ‘Role of Media in Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Bangladesh’ was organized by National Institute of Mass Communication (NIMC) of Ministry of Information, in Sheikh Russel Conference Hall at Kallyanpur Dhaka on 4th July 2019.
Dr Murad Hassan, State Minister of Ministry of Information attended the national seminar as chief guest and Abdul Malek, the Secretary of Ministry of Information, attended as the special guest.
AHM Bazlur Rahman, Chief Executive Officer of Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC) has presented the keynote paper on Role of Media in Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Bangladesh.
Dr Abul Mansur Ahmed, Professor and Chairman (acting) of Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka and Sohel Haider Chowdhury, Secretary General of Dhaka Union of Journalists (DUJ) have joined as panel speaker of the National Seminar. Shahin Islam, Director-General of National Institute of Mass Communication (NIMC) presided over the seminar.
Md. Masud Karim, Deputy Director-General of NIMC addressed welcome speech in the seminar.
In his keynote paper, A H M Bazlur Rahman highlighted some recommendations
• Organize dialogue on SDGs with the Editors of media at divisional level and national level as well as undertake a plan for implementation
• Introduce SDGs Media Award for journalists for best reporting on SDGs and undertake various researches in collaboration with different Ministries.
• Providing technical support for media house for SDGs related investigative report.
• Establish bilateral cooperation with the Ministry of Information and Departments of Mass Communication and Journalism of different universities
• Organize National conference on the SDGs and Media: progress, challenges and way forward
Speakers reiterated that the role of media in achieving SDGs is very significant and strategic participation of media will help to achieve SDGs.